January 22

Challenges for 2024

I prefer not to think in terms of resolutions for the allotment, more things I would like to try. I have had several in the past: create enough compost for two plots (almost made it last year, might manage it this year), collect enough water to survive a six week drought (think I have managed this one) and finally, grow enough sprouts to last all winter. I have managed this one – I might have even over managed this one with sixteen plants left half way through January which at one a week will last a loooong time.

This year, having managed the sprouts, I want to challenge myself a bit more so I want to try and be self-sufficient in carrots. This is much more challenging because some years (2023 in particular) I didn’t manage any carrots.

Next, I want to try a hot bed just to see if it will grow anything earlier on in the year. I might try one in the polytunnel and one outside. (Ultimately, this will also be more compost for the beds as well.)

I also want to build a wormery on the soil at the allotments like the one Charles Dowding has. Worm compost is wonderful stuff and I can use it for potting up and generally plants that need a little TLC. (Compost gain!)

The last two won’t produce more compost because the inputs that I have are the same amount, it is just making it differently.

Challenges like these always produce a list of tasks I need to complete:

• create a plan about how to grow carrots in order to have them all year round (June to June probably)
  • Order a load of cow manure to use in the hotbeds and place into containers
  • Prepare and gather materials for the wormery and create a space on one of the beds: piece of black plastic, tiger worms from the wormery at home, compost from one of the bins to start it off

I’ll keep you posted about how it is going.

Tags: , , ,

Posted January 22, 2024 by alijoy in category vegetables

2 thoughts on “Challenges for 2024

1. Cheryl Malandrinos

Good luck with your 2024 challenges. Carrots and I don’t get along. Our soil isn’t great, and even with help, my carrots rarely grow more than a few inches. Hotbeds sound interesting.

Reply